I help people feel more relaxed and at ease in themselves because they know how to access their internal resources.
Together my clients and I explore how they can recognise and attend to feelings of agitation and tension, release stress, and navigate their nervous system so they can be engaged and responsive, even in challenging times.
Much of my work revolves around being with what is in a gentle, nonreactive way. When resistance to difficulty softens, we are able to shift the focus from what we don’t want to what we do want, and to clarify the outcomes we’d like to see in our life.
Key to our sessions is the process of identifying and then developing your resourcefulness so you can close the gap between where you are now, and where you want to be.
Our sessions invite you to become more self-aware, to practise self-compassion, and – if you’re going to create the changes you want – to look at the repetitive patterns that have kept you stuck in the “here we go again” scenario.
‘The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to be in the right direction’
Jemma Simmons – Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
These small steps in the right direction might be new daily habits that vastly improve your relationships. They might be brief mindfulness practices that entirely shift how you experience your work. Or they might be simply noticing the way you talk to yourself and making adjustments so you always have your own back.
The ability to self-regulate means we can process and then release difficult feelings, think clearly, take effective action, and bring the best of ourselves to our loved ones. It affects us physiologically too, right down to our blood pressure and immune function.
And as we get to hang out in our zone of optimal effectiveness more often, it gets easier to return to it when we’ve been triggered and have become distressed.
How could things be different for you if we explored
– your thinking (your beliefs, attitudes, self-talk and perceptions, your values and personal vision)?
– your physiology (your posture, facial expressions, gestures and movements)?
– your habitual patterns of behaviour?
My clients find that they are able to recognise, allow and respond more effectively and flexibly to their experience, cultivate an inner source wellbeing and resilience, and increase their capacity to skilfully handle the uncertainty, changes and upsets of life.
Working with me will give you the strategies to:
- stay grounded, think clearly, and respond effectively and flexibly in times of frustration and difficulty
- lean into and learn from your negative emotions, so that instead of them controlling you, you can access a state of energised calmness
- reduce the risk, duration and severity of future depressive episodes
- shift your self-talk so that instead of it draining your energy and confidence, you have a source of resilience, compassion and inner strength to accompany your actions.
I would love to work with you to embed research-based practices, strategies, habits into your day so that you can move from gathering information on how to live a good life to actually living a good life.
If you’re ready for the next step, make a time to chat or book a session. You’re welcome to take things session by session, or I can take you through a step-by-step system if you prefer structure and are willing to commit to a series of sessions.
Sessions are available via phone, Zoom and also in-person in Coffs Harbour.